From February - May 2013, I spent an incredible 3 months as a Photography Agency Intern in the heart of Manhattan.
Here's what I go up to...

Wednesday 22 May 2013

Coney Island

For months I've wanted to visit Coney Island, but it's always been too cold. On Monday the sun was out, so I decided to catch the hour long subway down to the beach. I hopped off the subway at Brighton Beach... which is along the coast from Coney island. I walked along the boardwalk and then by the sea for a mile or so. As it was a monday, the beach was quiet. I kept thinking about a famous photograph by 'Weegee' which shows thousands and thousands of people at the beach in the 1940s. I can imagine once summer is here, the beach will start to get very busy.

Once I got to Coney Island, I saw all the old restaurants and amusement parks which look quite run down... but still hold all the charm that Coney Island has to offer. After months in the hustle and bustle of the city, it felt strange to be somewhere so quiet and so different. Everyone at home mentioned the film 'The Warriors' which is supposedly all set in Coney Island - but I haven't seen it!!








Weegee - Coney Island - 1942

No comments:

Post a Comment